Thursday, July 23, 2009

Cedar Glades Park Hot Springs Arkansas


I woke up at the fancy hotel and then ran up the mountain, 7 miles. I didn't mean to go that far but got lost on the mountain. I ran on a rocky trail called the DEAD CHIEF TRAIL. That might be an insensitive name for a running trail, but I don't want to make assumptions.

Then I said, "Denise, let's go play disc golf."


The locals call this the "Wildcat Course" I guess because it is in the woods and has a creek, but I have seen much wilder courses in my day.

The course was piney and tight and sculpted and shadow flickering trees and easy signage and well maintained. Each hole had a a clear sign and nice and orderly tee pad. Maybe the course was a bit too "manicured" for my taste.

Denise is playing D golf a bit now. She has several problems in her game, but I fixed most by giving her a Roc and telling her to use it on every hole. Jack Nicklaus once said a new golfer (ball, obviously) should use a 5 iron for every shot. The Roc is the same idea. It worked. Her scores lowered quickly. I am thinking she needs a light Roc, like a 150 if that is even possible.

I like that she plays because I can now work a D Golf course into every trip we take.




This is Denise's first ever par. Notice how many jack-weeds have written aces on the basket. This is because the hole was about 100 feet long. The course had several 100 foot range holes. I almost aced twice with a fucking Rhino putter. I did not appreciate these short holes, though the course tries to justify them by massive elevation, tech routes. I will also say we didn't have to play the short tees, now did we?


Example of elevation and tech below:


Then there is this hole, "The Humbler." 737 feet through the woods, short Tee. Long Tee is 912 feet thru the woods.


I am putting for a 5 here and I miss and so 6 the hole and am Humled. I was disgusted to miss this putt because with the new putting stroke I rarely miss from this close. My scores have certainly improved since I have changed my putting stance, stroke, mental approach, so thanks to all for the video links.


Wow! A lawyer's dream. The park has its own climbing wall!!

S


















No comments: