Monday, July 13, 2009

EIU Disc Golf Course in Charleston, IL

I drove 50 miles a couple weeks ago to play this course. First, the specs:
  • Built in 2007
  • 9 holes (3 under 300 feet, 4 between 300 and 400 ft, 2 over 400 ft)
  • Total length = 3450 ft
  • Nice baskets, concrete tee pads
  • Trash cans at every tee
  • Very nice signs with distance and picture of hole at each tee
  • Well maintained
  • Boring, flat "landscape" with scattered trees
  • Walking paths and small roads border some holes and are O.B.
  • No nearby parking.
  • The course is difficult due to length, trees in your way, and wind.
  • I'd rate the course at 2.5/4.0 amongst 9-hole courses, much lower compared to real 18-hole courses. I'll play it again.
The course does have some minor design flaws. One tee pad was about 20 feet behind the basket on the previous hole.



On another hole, picnic tables bordered the green.



The proximity of a couple walking paths was also a little annoying. But none of this was an issue as there were few people out and about, and no other players on the course for the 90 minutes I was there late on a Sunday morning.

The locals like their cheap beer, and I can admire that.



As I walked up to the first tee, I was greeted by a nice mailbox stocked with hundreds of fresh score cards (no pencils).



The scorecards had a cool real-photo map of the course.



There's no getting lost on this course. Nevertheless, rather than playing a first round, I more or less walked the course and tried some practice shots. The wind was furious that day. As I'm terrible in anything but perfect conditions (dry, 72 degrees, partly sunny (or maybe partly cloudy), low pollen count, shoes slightly broken-in, no tag on my t-shirt, and--this is important--definitely no wind) I'm in for a tough round. I'll be putting hard and throwing my overstable Firebird.

Ok, practice over. My score-keeping round begins. I walk up to the first tee. There's a nice map of the hole carved and painted on rock.



The fairway looks long in the wind. The road on the left is O.B. but doesn't really come into play thanks to a line of trees. This fairway gives you a sense of the course:



This green is typical--tucked into a clump of trees:



I take a bogey after a short drive into a headwind and a shaky approach.

Total: +1

By the way, I'm ignoring the course pars and playing them as par threes, of course.

Hole 2 is the easiest hole. 231 feet. Little hyzer. Basket under a tree. I've got no wind skills and get a par.

Total: +1

Hole 3 is tough by virtue of its distance.



There's a walking path along the entire left side of the fairway. The picture above doesn't really show how much the fairway curves to the left. It is tempting to throw one close to the path and let it curve along with it. But the O.B. line is a magnet. Before the round, my practice throw here lands on the path.

I play it more conservatively now, but am left with a 250 foot approach. Bogey.

Total: +2

Here's a shot of the hole-3 basket sitting atop the only "hill" on the course:



Hole 4 forces you to throw 318 feet from one side of a walking path to the other, into a line of trees. Pretty straightforward. Par.

Total: +2

Hole 5 is tough. 375 ft straight, but with a line of trees about 2/3 of the way down the fairway, one of which obscures your view of the hole.



My drive falls right in front of the center tree making my 130 foot approach shot very difficult:



I miss a 30-footer for par. In the wind, I'm not making anything over 20 feet this day. The wind actually broke a branch off of the tree next to me and it came crashing down while I was trying to putt here. Bogey.

Total: +3

Hole 6 is similar to 5. There's a theme emerging. "Hey, let's put the fairway right here so that this tree is exactly in the middle of it." You can see the problem on the tee-sign:



The tree is gangling, but still forces you to throw a hyzer or an-hyzer, which cuts down on my distance big-time:



I tried an anhyzer, but the wind took my poorly-thrown disc straight up in the air and plopped it down about 150 feet in front of the tee. Hang time: 8 seconds.

My approach (second drive) did not penetrate the sentinel-like trees:



I got a bad bounce off of one of the trees and then missed the putt. Bogey.

Total: +4

Hole 7 is the shortest on the course:



But this is no gimme birdie. First of all there's another damned tree directly in front of the tee pad (did I really give this course 2.5/4.0?). Second, the basket is nowhere to be found. After walking about 40 feet to the side, I finally spot it directly behind the trunk of a tree. Di-rectly. This basket is no more than five feet from the trunk. I am surprised by the recorded aces on this hole than on any other. I just don't see how that disc can get around that tree without passing up the basket. Must be one really nice sweeping hyzer. Here's the picture:



I go way wide and par it.

Total: +4

Hole 8 is long. Oh, yeah, and there's a wall of trees in the way of your drive. You can throw a clear drive, just not in the direction of the basket.



I get through the trees and battle the wind in an open field. I surprise myself by putting together three 250 footish throws that give me a drop-in bogey. There's also an O.B. road next to this basket:



Total: +5

Hole 9 is probably the best hole. The fairway crosses a road (small, little used, no cars) and a walking path and enters a bunch of trees. Lots of trees on this hole.



The basket is tucked in nicely behind left-field.



My drive sucks. 200 feet. Straight. Stays on my side of the road. My approach hits the first branch of the nearest tree. I'm being mocked. I have a 75 foot shot for par, mostly clear. I look at the trees and fence behind the pin and then go for it with my shark. The trees keep the wind at bay. Somehow it goes in for my par.

Total: +5



I'll be playing this course again when it's not windy and I've added some distance to my drive. But I fear that par will still be out of reach for me.

No comments: